Michael substitutes for the Mayor on a political talk show, facing off against Ashley on a hot-button issue. Meanwhile, Paul plays City Hall Santa while battling a terrible bout of the flu that is sweeping the office.
- The Mayor is scheduled to debate Charlie Morris on the rise of superstores and their effect on the economy and community. However, both the mayor and Charlie fall ill so Mike and Ashley are scheduled to combat. Mike spends most of the episode trying to one-up Ashley in an attempt to prove something to himself. However, once they start the debate, Mike takes the Mayor's advice and lays off in attempt to prove that they do not need competition to make their relationship work. Ashley laughs at this so Mike begins to wale away. Eventually, they also fall ill and debate which one is sicker.
- Many of the staff approach Carter about how to handle problems in their personal lives. Nikki is having trouble with her current boyfriend, Jeff. James admits to Carter he has taken a liking to Nikki, and Karen professes her love of James to Carter. Eventually, they all meet in a bar and awarkdly express their feelings for each other. Everyone is uncomfortable with this new found knowledge, especially Carter.
- Michael J. Fox as Mike Flaherty
- Carla Gugino as Ashley Schaeffer
- Richard Kind as Paul Lassiter
- Alan Ruck as Stuart Bondek
- Michael Boatman as Carter Heywood
- Connie Britton as Nikki Faber
- Alexander Chaplin as James Hobert
- and Barry Bostwick as Randall Winston
- „I tell him we had the greatest date, I laughed at all of his jokes, I did the whole 'Oh my, you're so fascinating please continue talking about yourself' thing. I put out all the stops, he still hasn't called”
- Last appearance of Ashley Schaeffer
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.